Lab testing allows you and your doctor to get more information about how well your body is functioning, what conditions you may be at risk of developing, or whether you have been exposed to an infection.
Lab testing can be expensive. It usually requires a visit to a doctor for an order first. Online and remote lab testing has been available through the internet or mail-order companies for a while, but the COVID-19 pandemic made at-home testing even more convenient – even necessary, as pandemic lockdowns in some areas lasted for months.
As the popularity of at-home testing grows, it can be confusing to wade through the many options and how to get access to tests with or without your doctor.
This article will review the services of Walk-In Lab, an online company that provides orders for lab testing and at-home collection or testing kits.
Walk-In Lab is a company that offers a variety of direct-to-consumer testing. This includes:
- blood tests that require collection in a lab
- mail-order kits that can be used completely at home
- kits that allow you to collect a sample at home to mail into a lab
These tests can help you detect conditions like pregnancy, allergies, infections, and more. Others might be used to monitor existing conditions like diabetes or thyroid disease.
While direct-to-consumer lab testing gives you freedom and flexibility over your healthcare choices, not every lab result comes with a black-and-white result.
Some things that are tested may require a bit of medical interpretation or perspective to get the best results. For example, tests for certain allergies or cancers may be able to indicate whether you are at risk of having or developing a certain condition, but more specific testing might be needed to confirm your diagnosis.
Plus, even if these tests give you answers about a health condition, you will still have to talk with a doctor about next steps and treatment. They may want to repeat some tests themselves to confirm the results.
However, if you can’t or don’t want to go through a doctor for testing, Walk-In Lab is one of the many companies that can give you options.
Customers who have used the company’s services praise Walk-In Labs for being quick, convenient, and accurate. The company is fully accredited and uses
While some people may have these tests ordered and performed by their doctor or another healthcare professional, Walk-In Lab allows you to choose any tests you are willing to pay for – even if it wasn’t requested by your doctor.
Maybe you have no health insurance or are between doctors and want to check your thyroid or blood glucose levels. Or perhaps your insurance plan doesn’t provide great coverage for lab testing.
Walk-In Lab lets you take matters into your own hands, ordering your test and receiving results directly and confidentially.
Walk-In Lab offers at-home test kits, sample collection kits, and orders for lab testing at walk-in sites like Quest Diagnostics and LabCorp. There is a wide range of tests available. Some of the most popular include:
Some of these may allow you to collect a sample at home to mail in for testing. Others will allow you to print an order that can be brought to a local lab for blood collection.
It’s simple to use Walk-In Lab testing:
- Go to WalkInLab.com and select the test (s) you want to order.
- If you choose a home test kit, your kit will be mailed to you with collection and testing instructions.
- If you choose a test that requires a lab collection, you will receive details on labs in your area and have the opportunity to make an appointment.
- After your test is ordered, you will receive an order or confirmation of your purchase. If you require a lab collection, you will receive an order that you can bring with you to the lab. You will also receive instructions on any preparation, like fasting, that may be required before your test.
- Once collected and submitted to the lab, results from your sample are usually ready in 1 to 2 days.
- Your results will be displayed on a confidential online portal.
- Your results will include normal reference ranges, but you will need to discuss what your results mean to you with your doctor.
Walk-in Lab is a way to get testing without requiring a doctor’s visit or script. Keep in mind that results will provide normal reference ranges, but come without clinical interpretation. If further testing or consultation is needed, you will need to meet with your doctor.
How long does it take to get Walk-In Lab results?
For most tests that are sent to Walk-In Labs, results are ready in 1 to 2 days. Some tests may take longer. The total wait time may depend on the mail carrier that is delivering your sample to the lab.
Does Walk-In Lab take insurance?
Walk-In Lab does not submit testing costs to health insurance companies. You can pay with a variety of options, including credit cards, health savings accounts (HSAs), and PayPal.
If you want to submit your testing to your insurance company yourself, Walk-In Labs will provide you with a receipt, but reimbursement from your insurance company is not guaranteed.