The festival of colors is here and there is no better time than now to spend it with your dear family and friends. While you are at it, here is a special recipe that will add much flavor to your festivities. What more? The little prep that it requires is compensated by the fact that it tastes delicious and is apt for one and all.
Check out the full recipe courtesy chef and food entrepreneur Tarun Sibal
Pot Pie Biryani with coriander curry
For the Rice
1 cup – Basmati rice
1.5 to 1.75 cups – Water
2tbsp – Oil
1 no – Bay leaf
3-4 no – Cloves
4-5 no – Black peppercorns
1 no – Star anise
1 no – Cinnamon stick
4 no – Green cardamoms
2-3 strands of mace
1 / 2tsp – Caraway seeds
1tsp – Ginger-garlic paste
1tbsp – Chopped coriander
1tbsp – Coriander leaves
1tbsp – Mint leaves
18-20 strands – Saffron
5 to 6 drops lemon juice
1 Large onion sliced
2 large tomatoes sliced
1tbsp – Curd
Salt as required
For the pie shell
1tsp – Active dry yeast
1 / 4tsp – White sugar
1/4 cup – Lukewarm water
2 cups – All-purpose flour, divided
1 / 2tsp – Salt
For the vegetables
1 baby eggplant
1 green zucchini
Mixed mushrooms a few
1 yellow zucchini
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
3 baby corn
3-5 pc French beans
For the curry
2 bunch coriander
300g – Onions (5 medium onions)
5tbsp – Ghee
1tbsp – Coriander powder
1tbsp – Cumin powder
1tbsp – Garam masala
Salt to taste
2 cups – Water
2tbsp – Cream
* Wash the rice under running cold water till the water runs clear. Soak into enough water for at least 30 minutes.
* Heat the oil or ghee in a pan on medium heat. Add whole spices and fry till you get a nice aroma from them.
* Add onions and fry till onions get golden. Add ginger –garlic paste and fry till they turn fragrant.
* Transfer tomatoes, curd, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, mint leaves, coriander leaves, salt, and turmeric
* Cook till tomatoes turn soft and pulpy and also the mixture begins to leave the oil.
* Add the soaked, drained rice and cook for a minute. Add water and let it come to a boil.
* Once it starts boiling add saffron and cover the pan and lower the heat to the lowest possible. Cook for 17-20 minutes without opening the lid. After 20 minutes turn the heat off, do not open the lid, keep it covered and rest for around 30 minutes.
* For the vegetables, cut all the vegetables into batons except eggplant. Blanch it and keep it aside. Cut the eggplant into quarters till the stem and deep fry till it becomes crispy.
* Roast the vegetables, with a little garlic, oil, salt and pepper.
* Take a pan, add ghee, once it is hot, add onions, coriander bunch and sauté it. Add cumin and coriander powder, salt, garam masala and cook it till it starts leaving the oil.
* Add water in the pan and cook till the water evaporates. Blend it to a smooth puree and add cream.
* Dissolve yeast and sugar in hot water in a bowl. Let stand until yeast forms a creamy foam, 5 to 8 minutes.
* Mix 1 3/4 cup flour and salt in a large bowl. Pour in yeast mixture; mix well until dough comes together.
* Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead until smooth, adding remaining 1/4 cup flour if dough is too sticky, about 2 minutes. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a greased 8-inch pie tin.
* Bake at a high heat oven for 8 to 10 min till golden
* Put the rice in the pie, top it with the vegetables and serve it with the hot nihari sauce.
* Garnish it with fresh rose petalsmint leaves and fried onions.
📣 For more lifestyle news, follow us on Instagram | Twitter | Facebook and don’t miss out on the latest updates!