A popular pub in Macclesfield has received the worst possible hygiene rating after an inspection by Cheshire East Council. The inspector found that there was’ no soap ‘or’ hot running water ‘at the kitchen handwash basin, raw chicken was stored next to cooked meats, and cooked meats were left out to cool at room temperature for house, creating’ i deal conditions for food poisoning bacteria to grow. ‘

The lowest possible rating is extraordinarily rare. Of 543,631 establishments in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, 736 were given a hygiene rating of ‘0 out of 5’.

The Jolly Sailor, which is popular among customers with a rating of 4.5 out of 5 on TripAdvisor, is currently one of only just two establishments with the lowest possibly hygiene rating in Cheshire East – the other being Stuart Hornby of Nantwich Market.

In the report, the inspector states that: “The hot water tap was broken and there was no hot running water to the wash hand basin in the kitchen at the time of visit. This is unacceptable.

Hot water is essential for effective hand washing and must be available all times. Initially there was no soap at the wash hand basin in the kitchen, however food was already prepared. A supply of soap was brought from another part of the pub when asked. This is unacceptable.

READ: Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis to be remembered in Cheshire hometown with mural

“At the time of visit, raw meat (chicken) in open containers were stored above / next to uncovered cooked meats in the glass door kitchen fridge. This poses a risk of cross contamination; any raw meat items (such as chicken) must be covered and stored below other foods in the fridge. “

The inspector added: “At the time of the visit, several chilled foods were left on the kitchen table. I understand that these foods were purchased / delivered in the morning and its been left at room temperature for more than 2 hours. This is unacceptable. Cooked meats such as fried beef slices, prawns cakes etc were left to cool at room temperature in the kitchen. I was told that the cooked meats are allowed to cool for at least 3-4 hours at room temperature. This is unacceptable. This slows down the cooling process and presents ideal conditions for food poisoning bacteria to grow. Hot food which is to be cooled before storage or sale must be cooled as quickly as possible before being placed in the refrigerator. “

The inspector also warned that: “You must ensure that raw meat is prepared on a separate table to other foodstuffs. Raw meat such as chicken, pork etc must not be prepared on the main table in the kitchen (during service hours) that the prepared vegetables and pre-cooked meats are stored on.

In addition to advising that rusty shelves in the fridge must be rectified, the inspector advised that: “I strongly suggest that you read and follow the E. coli O157 cross-contamination guidance … Carrying out raw and ready-to-eat preparation in the same area will place the ready-to eat foods at risk of contamination… This matter requires your prompt attention. “

Landlord Glyn Naden has run the pub for 12 years, and explained the poor rating: “We were in the middle of moving house, and we’d just shut the kitchens down, that’s why. With Covid and everything we had everything shut down.

He assured CheshireLive that the issues raised in the report have now been rectified: “We’ve done the taps. Everything that they’ve put down that we failed at we’ve put right,” he said.

Newsletter: Sign up for email alerts from CheshireLive direct to your inbox here

.

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.