SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. – The addition of I-4 Express not only has meant new toll lanes, but also new access points to the interstate.
The Florida Department of Transportation calls them “direct connect ramps.” (See list below.)
What You Need To Know
- Direct connect ramps give access points to enter and exit I-4 Express lanes
- Their purpose is to help drivers avoid using the free, general use I-4 lanes.
- The main challenge is knowing when and where to get off the ramps
- Drivers should follow the signs to remain on the right path, FDOT says
“For our company, it gives a lot more accessibility to I-4 with the direct connect to Central Parkway,” said Patrick Booth, the head chef at Edibles Etc. Catering in Altamonte Springs. “Getting on and off there brings you right to our front door. That’s definitely a big bonus for our company. “
Drivers may use the slip lanes or the direct connect ramps to enter and exit I-4 Express lanes.
In addition to Central Parkway in Altamonte Springs, crews built direct connect ramps at Ivanhoe Boulevard, north of downtown Orlando; South Street (with easy access to the Amway Center parking garage) and Anderson Street, both in downtown. There are also direct connect ramps to and from Grand National Drive (listed as Kirkman Road) to help drivers get to Universal Orlando and the International Drive area.
In addition, crews also built direct connect ramps at State Road 408 and Florida’s Turnpike.
The goal is to help drivers avoid using the free, general use I-4 lanes.
With a slight turn off Central Parkway, Booth can take the new direct connect ramp to the I-4 Express lanes, saving him the time it would have taken to get to I-4 from SR-436 or SR-434.
“(It will) definitely help us get our food quicker to our clients, to be a little bit fresher and on time,” Booth said.
The only challenge for Booth and other drivers is to know where to get on and off the ramps.
FDOT said it’s important to follow the signs.
Currently, it costs 50 cents per toll segment on I-4 Express. In the future, FDOT plans to change the price of the tolls based on congestion.
I-4 Express Direct Connect Ramps:
- This is WB I-4 Express from Central Pkwy.
- This is Central Pkwy. from EB I-4 Express
- To EB I-4 Express from Ivanhoe Blvd.
- This is Ivanhoe Blvd. from WB I-4 Express
- To WB I-4 Express from South St
- This is South St. from WB I-4 Express
- This is South St. from EB I-4 Express
- To EB I-4 Express from Anderson St
- This is SR-408 from WB I-4 Express
- It’s SR-408 from EB I-4 Express
- To SB Florida’s Turnpike from WB I-4 Express
- To EB I-4 Express from NB Florida’s Turnpike
- It’s Grand National Dr. from WB I-4 Express
- To WB I-4 Express from Grand National Dr.
- It’s Grand National Dr. from EB I-4 Express
- To EB I-4 Express from Grand National Dr.
To plan your route, use the new FDOT website: i4express.com.