Disgusting moldy brownies which were meant for the bin were accidentally delivered by a takeaway dessert company to a customer instead.
Clare George, 47, had been out looking after a poorly family member when she decided to order a dessert take-away for her three sons and friends.
She paid £ 30 for desserts from Sundae Gelato, Gloucester, through Just Eat.
However, when her eldest son rang her to complain the brownies had arrived moldy, Clare rang Sundae Gelato to ask for a replacement order or refund, GloucesterLive reported.
She said: “My son rang me mortified. He had paid £ 30 for the desserts to share with his brothers and some friends.
“The boys had been eating the desserts when they had been watching a film so only had the light from the TV.
Gloucestershire Live WS)
“They realized the chocolate one did not taste right and when they switched on the light they realized it was moldy.”
Claire’s son contacted Sundae Gelato to explain the issue but claims they were told to get in touch with Just Eat to process a refund.
Clare said: “My son was told the desserts were frozen so they should have been fine.
“So I called Sundae Gelato and said we should have a refund or replacement order because of what had been delivered.
“They kept fobbing me off saying another order would be delivered but it never came, then told the owner would be in touch and they put the phone down on me.
“No one could have eaten that food.
“I am amazed no one saw the mold on the food before it left the shop. It is lucky the kids did not end up with food poisoning. “
The Mirror’s newsletter brings you the latest news, exciting showbiz and TV stories, sport updates and essential political information.
The newsletter is emailed out first thing every morning, at 12noon and every evening.
Never miss a moment by signing up to our newsletter here.
A spokesperson for the Gloucester branch of Sundae Gelato said: “We are regrettably sorry about Clare George’s experience in our restaurant. We take health and safety very seriously here.
“We try our absolute best to keep our customers happy and satisfied.
“In Miss George’s case there has been a mistake sending her a cake that was meant to be thrown away and been left aside.
“The staff who packed the order were newly hired staff which had been trained but it was his day three at work.
“I myself was away for holiday and only been notified about this case when I returned.
“After Miss George called the restaurant to report this on the day she ordered, we offered to send her replacement of her order straightaway but she did not want only the replacement of order.
“She also asked for refund from restaurant so we have advised and explained to Miss George that she can get her refund through Just Eat because that’s where she placed her order and that’s the way to get refund.”
They added: “After I was back from my holiday, I contacted Miss George as we told her we will contact her.
“I explained the situation and we have offered her £ 50 worth of vouchers to come and spend in the restaurant from our full menu.
“She also received her full refund from Just Eat the same day she ordered.
“As a business owner we try our best to keep all our customers happy and satisfied. We take health and safety very seriously. We take keeping the area and kitchen clean very seriously.
“As for our customer service, we try all in our power to keep our customers coming back. As a business it has become hard to survive. “
Just Eat are also looking into the issue and issued a statement saying: “We take food safety extremely seriously and actively work to raise standards across the takeaway sector.
“For us, it’s really important that our customers have a positive experience when ordering their food online and were sorry to hear that, in this case, this customer’s experience did not reflect the high standard we would hope to deliver.
“We are contacting the customer so that we can investigate further.”