If you’re on a diet or have food-based allergies, you may want to give a new app a try. The App is called Fig and it can be useful for allergies, intolerances, specific diets, and more. The app allows users to scan the barcodes on food items to show them if there are ingredients in the food that you either can’t have due to allergies or are trying to avoid on your diet. KTLA’s RichDemuro profiled the app earlier today.
Users can create a profile by choosing from 2,500+ options, including allergens, special diets, and even food dyes. Diets can include dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, lactose-free, vegan, paleo, and others.
Users can browse the app’s information to find foods they can safely eat at over 100 grocery stores. A built-in scanner allows users to use their iPhone or Android handset’s camera to focus on a food item’s barcode. The app then analyzes the item’s ingredient list and compares them to your personal non-no list.
Fig is a free food scanner and discovery tool that helps you find out what you CAN eat at grocery stores, regardless of how complex your dietary needs are.
If you have dietary restrictions, you’re probably annoyed by the hours it takes to inspect ingredient labels. Fig (Food is Good) instantly shows you what food you can eat based on your needs, so you can spend fewer hours researching food and more time enjoying it!
– Add ANY ingredient / allergen and 100+ diets to your Fig
– Browse products that work for you at 100+ grocery stores
– Scan product barcodes to check if a product fits your needs
– Create shopping lists to make your grocery shopping easier
– Learn more about confusing ingredients and how they match specific diets
HOW IT WORKS
1. Tell Fig how you eat by selecting from 2,000+ diets, food allergies and specific ingredients
2. Browse through products that meet your needs
3. Scan product barcodes to see a green, yellow, or red rating and get recommended alternatives if a product doesn’t work for you
• Dairy free
• Egg free
• Fructose free
• Gluten free
• Lactose free
• Low FODMAP
• Low histamine
• No Beef
• No Pork
• Celery (Celeriac, Celery)
• Corn (Corn, Corn Sugars, Corn Derivatives)
• Eggs (Egg white, Egg yolk, Eggs)
• Oral Allergy Syndrome (Alder pollen, Birch pollen, Grass Pollen, Mugwort weed pollen, Ragweed pollen)
• Peanut (Peanut, Peanut Oil)
• Seeds (Poppy, Sunflower, and more)
• Shellfish (Crustacean, Mollusk)
• Soy (Soy, Soy Lecithin, Soybean Oil)
• Tree nuts (Almond, Brazil, Cashew, Coconut, Chestnut, Hazelnut, Macadamia, Pecan, Pistachio, Walnut, and more)
• Fig works with ANY allergen!
OTHER COMMON DIETARY NEEDS:
• Added salt
• Added sugar
• Artificial flavors
• Artificial food coloring
• Capsaicin (peppers)
• Common additives (Azodicarbonamide, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Parabens, Sulfites, and more)
• Garlic & onion
• Gums & thickeners
• Nightshades (Tomatoes, Peppers, Potatoes, Eggplant)
• Sweeteners (Stevia, Aspartame, Monk Fruit, Sugar Alcohols and more)
ALL INDIVIDUAL INGREDIENTS:
Select from 2,300+ individual ingredients you want to avoid:
• Acacia (arabic gum)
• Acai juice
• Acai juice concentrate
• Acerola juice
• Acerola juice concentrate
• Acerola powder
• Acetic acid
• Acid casein
•… you get the idea!
The App is free and available for iOS and Android in the App Store and Google Play Store, respectively.