International chocolate manufacturer, Ferrero, has issued an apology after batches of its popular children’s treat, Kinder Surprise, were recalled this weekend.
An alert was issued for the chocolate eggs due to the presence of Salmonella, according to the Food Safety of Ireland.
Included in the recall were Kinder Surprise 20g and Kinder Surprise 20g x3 with best before dates between July 11, 2022, and October 7, 2022.
READ MORE: Centra issues urgent recall of popular fish after raw product ‘mislabelled’ as ready to eat
A spokesperson from the FSAI said: “The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) today advises that a food recall by Ferrero of some Kinder Surprise chocolate products is underway due to a link with a food poisoning outbreak of Salmonella.
“The FSAI, together with the Health Protection Surveillance Center of the HSE, is investigating this ongoing food poisoning outbreak which is affecting Ireland, the UK and a number of other European countries.”
Authorities confirmed that to date, there have been ten cases in Ireland with the same strain of Salmonella responsible for a UK outbreak.
A number of these Irish cases have involved young children, all of whom have fully recovered.
The chocolatier then issued a statement sincerely apologizing for these issues saying: “Ferrero is cooperating with the UK Food Standards Agency and the Food Safety Authority of Ireland on a possible link to a number of reported cases of salmonella.
“Although none of our Kinder products released to market have tested positive for salmonella, and we have received no consumer complaints, we are taking this extremely seriously as consumer care is our top priority.”
The statement continues: “As a precaution, we have taken the decision to voluntarily recall Kinder Surprise 20g and Kinder Surprise 20g x 3 pack in the UK and Ireland with Best Before Dates between 11th July 2022 and 7th October 2022.
“These products are manufactured in Belgium.
“We are working with retailers to ensure that these products are no longer available for purchase.
“If you have one of these products, you are advised not to consume it.
“We take food safety extremely seriously and we sincerely apologize for this matter.”
Get breaking news to your inbox by signing up to our newsletter .