FAIRFIELD – Twenty-nine middle, junior and high school show choirs from across Ohio will compete Saturday in the Crystal Classic.
The all-day event is fully open to the public – a change from last year’s competition that didn’t allow spectators due to COVID concerns.
“The only people that could come watch were people in the groups or parents,” said Matt Baker, high school choral director.
“It’s a different energy when you have an audience. ”
Show choirs will compete at Fairfield Senior High School’s arena and theater while soloists – restricted to high school students – will perform at the neighboring freshman school theater.
“Top groups from not only the State of Ohio but from across the country will be here,” Baker said.
“The experience of the Crystal Classic – it’s so different from other competitions; it’s almost like a stadium rock concert. “
Locally, choirs will be competing from the Loveland, Ross, Edgewood, Lebanon, Hamilton, and Norwood districts as well as Mount Notre Dame High School.
Groups are divided by gender, size, and age with separate competitions for high school students and middle / junior high groups.
Unlike past years, each group will perform only once with no preliminary and then final rounds. Crystal awards will be presented to the grand champion in each of five divisions: small mixed groups, medium mixed groups, large mixed group, unisex groups and junior high / middle school.
Awards will also be given to the best male, and best female soloist.
Fairfield’s Choraliers, Rhythm Express, and Pure Elegance will perform their competition shows but are not competing. Performances begin at 8 am, with the last performance at 8 pm Awards are presented at 8:30 pm
About a dozen food options will be available at the senior high school both inside the cafeteria and outdoor food trucks. Offerings include Chick-fil-A, La Rosa, Skyline Chili, Tweedle’s Donuts, Cavendar’s Cupcakes, Crafted Cup Coffee & Frozen Drinks, Chicken Mac, and Graeter’s Ice Cream.
Tickets are $ 15 for adults and $ 6 for children ages 12 and younger. Check the website for information and tickets or 513-942-2999.
Schedule for Greater Cincinnati show choirs, arena:
- 8 am, Mount Notre Dame, Jubilation.
- 11:15 am, Loveland High School, Allure.
- 11:45 am, Fairfield middle schools, Rhythm Express.
- 1:15 pm, Edgewood High School, Choraliers.
- 1:45 pm Lebanon High School, Singers.
- 4:30 pm, Fairfield Senior High School, Pure Elegance.
- 6:30 pm, Ross High School, Legacy.
- 7 pm, Loveland High School, By Request.
- 8 pm, Fairfield Senior High School, Choraliers.
Schedule for Greater Cincinnati show choirs, Performing Arts Center
- 11:30 am, Hamilton Middle School, Cutting Edge.
- 1:30 pm Loveland Middle School, Revolution.
- 2:30 pm, Ross Middle School, Next Generation.
- 3:45 pm, Norwood High School, The Silhouettes.
No students from Greater Cincinnati are competing as soloists.