A Derbyshire café was given a food hygiene rating of one after being found to have several contamination risks. Santi’s Café in Stenson Fields was visited by inspectors from South Derbyshire District Council on Friday, February 11, and was found to have cooked and raw meat stored next to each other, food stored in old boxes and dirty equipment.
The café which is part of Stenson’s Stores, in Pilgrims Way, was also found to be using the wrong kind of soap and using a chopping board to prepare raw meat as a cover for cooked food. It also had several other issues flagged during the inspection
It was told it needed major improvement in its management of food safety and improvement in its hygienic food handling. But, it was deemed generally satisfactory when it came to cleanliness and condition of its building and facilities. Following the inspection, the owners said they closed the café for a deep clean.
Read more: All 72 places in Derbyshire that have one-star food hygiene ratings
The report, accessed through a Freedom of Information request, said: “Old food boxes were used to store samosa etc in the fridge. The boxes are dirty and are unsuitable to be used and poses a risk of contamination.
“Ensure that you wear suitable clean, protective apron when handling food to protect the food from you. Do not use the red chopping board used to cut raw chicken to cover cooked food.
“Do not store cooked sausages beside raw bacon in the fridge as it poses a risk of cross-contamination. Do not leave cooked food out as the temperature of the sausages was 23C which is the danger zone and poses a risk of growth of food poisoning. bacteria. “
The outlet was visited by a reporter from Staffordshire Live over the Easter weekend. A spokesperson said that the business had voluntarily closed for almost a month in March so a deep clean could “remedy the situation as per the report”, and that the manager was supporting a relative with cancer at the time, who has since died.
They said: “At the time of the visit, our grandmother who has now since passed away had pancreatic cancer, and so, as you can imagine, my mother who manages the café with her short team; well she was personally struggling, which led to a drop in her standards.
“As far as I am aware, we have been working hard whilst the café has been closed for just under a month in March to deep clean the kitchen and remedy the situation as per the report. Naturally we are disappointed with this drop in ratings, as we have always had four stars. “
All food hygiene scores were correct as of April 19, 2022. Inspections are carried out by the local council according to standards set by the Food Standards Agency.
Officers inspect three main categories – hygienic food handling, cleanliness and condition of the facilities and building and management of food safety. A zero rating means that urgent improvements are needed, with councils having the power to temporarily close a food outlet if it poses a risk to public safety.
A one out of five rating means major improvements are needed and a rating of three means that a food outlet is generally compliant with regulations. After a business is inspected, the council has 14 days to inform operators of the scoring decision.
The business then has 21 days to appeal against that decision. Only after this can we at Derbyshire Live submit a Freedom of Information request for further information, which can take up to 20 working days to be provided.