Morning, neighbors! It’s me again, Brad King, your host of the Toledo Daily.
First, today’s weather:
Increasing clouds; warmer. High: 55 Low: 49.
Here are the top stories in Toledo today:
- The Toledo Walleye have won the Brabham Cup with their 9-2 victory against Kalamazoo this past Saturday. This is the fifth Brabham Cup win in Toledo hockey history and the team will compete for the Kelly Cup championship starting this Friday against the Cincinnati Cyclones. (WTOL)
- UToledo freshman Cory Thomas was afflicted with norovirus AKA food poisoning and suspects it came from the on-campus dining halls that have been in violation of the health code. UToledo says there is no record of this incident and that students can report to the full-time dietician to investigate such issues. (WTOL)
- The gymnasium inside the Believe Center at the Aurora Gonzalez Community Center has undergone a total makeover, featuring new rims, backboards, and flooring for the basketball court. Funding for the project came from the City of Toledo, Housing and Urban Developmentand the Department of Neighborhoods. (WTVG)
- The Toledo Lucas County Public Library offers a number of community resources such as Kombucha Brewing classes, at-home barista courses, and self-care workshops. The library also features art classes such as painting and poetry. (La Prensa)
- Destination Toledo’s new Great Lake Erie Birding Trail is officially open and users can access the mobile passport without having to download an app. 40 locations throughout Ohio, Michiganand Canada are a part of the experience. (Tiffin Advertiser Tribune)
From our sponsor:
Today’s newsletter is brought to you in part by Ring and Patch Brand Partner. Getting some spring cleaning tasks done? Why not refresh your home’s security, too. Secure windows, doors, and more with up to $ 80 off on select Alarm Pro Kits. Don’t wait, offers end 5/1 at 9 pm PST.
Today in Toledo:
- Pop Bottle Painting – Toledo Public Library – Main Branch (2:00 PM)
- Art Club – Sanger Branch Library (3:00 PM)
- Bad Art – Heatherdowns Branch Library (4:30 PM)
- 4-20 Make N ‘Bake Fused Glass Class at Copper Moon, 8007 Airport Hwy (6:30 PM)
- Chris Stapleton at the Huntington Center (7:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- Gas prices are down nearly 40 cents a gallon in Toledo over past three weeks. (WTOL)
- National Drug Take Back Day will be Saturday, April 30 and offers safe disposal of prescription drugs from 10 AM – 2 PM at several Toledo locations. (WTOL)
- The Toledo Funny Bone is hosting a comedian open mic night this Thursday, April 21 at 7 PM. (WTOL)
- Toledo celebrated 419 Day yesterday, with several local shops and restaurants offering specials celebrating the Glass City. (WTVG)
Loving the Toledo Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
- Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe
- Get your local business listed in front of readers
- Send me a news tip or suggestion at email@example.com
You’re officially in the loop for today. See you all tomorrow morning for another update!
– Brad King
About me: I have been a lifelong Northwest Ohio native and University of Toledo grad (Go Rockets!). I’m old enough to remember when the Mud Hens were still playing in Maumee. The Glass City has seen some amazing revitalization and I am so excited to share every update with you!