Up and at ’em, Houston! Let’s get you all caught up to start this day off on an informed note. Here’s everything going on in Houston today.
First, today’s weather:
A brief shower or two. High: 75 Low: 56.
Are you a local business owner or marketer? We can help you effortlessly run effective ads that reach customers in Houston. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top stories in Houston today:
1. A family-owned gas station in southwest Houston, Fuqua Express gas station, claims alleged thieves stole a total of roughly 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel from the station’s underground fuel storage tanks over 3 days. The Houston Police Department say officers responded to the gas station on Friday and took a theft report. (ABC 13)
2. Mayor Sylvester Turner is asking Houstonians to stand in solidarity with the people of Ukraine and the estimated 5,000+ people of Ukrainian descent who call Houston their home. In a symbolic show of support, many Houston businesses and the Montrose bridges are being illuminated in blue and yellowthe colors of the Ukraine flag. (City of Houston)
3. Texas Governor Greg Abbott arrived at the Pokrova Ukrainian Catholic Church in Houston near West Gulf Bank he Sunday at about 10 am for a “Day of Prayer for Ukraine. ” There have been numerous community demonstrations across the Houston area in the past week, including in Conroe and in Clear Lake, showing support and solidarity with Ukraine. (ABC 13)
4. Houston’s Giovanni Marquez, 21won his pro debut with unanimous decision. He is the son of former Olympian and world champion Raul Marquez. He landed 85 power punches, compared to 42 from Morales. (Chron.com)
5. 15-year-old Kavya Vivekanand is a 10th grader at Shadow Creek High School in Pearland who wanted to volunteer during the pandemic. She’s a volunteer with a nonprofit called ENGin. The nonprofit is connecting Ukrainian students with English-speaking students to help them improve. (KHOU 11)
From our sponsor:
Today’s Houston Daily is brought to you in part by Newrez, a leading nationwide mortgage lender. Make a smart move for your future and refinance with Newrez today. Call 844-979-1707 to connect with a Newrez loan officer. Newrez, LLC (NMLS # 3013)
Today in Houston:
- SPORTS | Paintings By Professor Brian Gardner at HCC West Loop Center Art Gallery. (all day)
- Sculpture By Randall Mosman at HCC Northline Art Gallery. (all day)
- Houston Job Fair – Houston Career Fair. Virtual. (11:00 AM)
- Margarita Mondays at Parma! (4:00 PM)
- Afro-Mambo Workshop With Jorge Salas at El Sabor de Houston Dance Academy. (8:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- Houston Texans have signed former Cincinnati Bengals first-round draft pick Cedric Ogbuehi. (Toro Times)
- HISD Superintendent Millard House II says budget cuts on the way. He says they won’t be easy, but are necessary. (Click2Houston)
- The Houston Police Department’s Robbery Division is searching for the suspect responsible for a series of aggravated robberies at drug stores in southeast Houston. AND $ 5,000 reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest of the criminal. (ABC 13)
- Texas A&M fell one win shy of a title on its Cinderella sprint through the SEC tournament. Well. 2 seed Tennessee defeated the eighth-seeded Aggies 65-50 in the league title game on Sunday. (Houston Chronicle)
More from our sponsors – thanks for supporting local news!
- Taxes in Retirement Seminar (March 14)
- FREE WEBINAR | Saints, Symbols, and Spaghetti (March 18)
- Virtual Medicare 101 with Sid Martinez (March 22)
- Online Discussions on the Effectiveness of Drug Addiction Treatment in a Houston Addiction Treatment (March 31)
- Add your event
Loving the Houston Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
Alrighty, you’re all good for today. I’ll catch up with you bright and early tomorrow morning with another update!
– Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.