Good morning, people of Houston! It’s me again, Carlos Hernandez, your host of the Houston Daily.
First, today’s weather:
Sunny and pleasant. High: 75 Low: 54.
One of the easiest ways to connect with local customers and stay top-of-mind in town is to sponsor the Houston Daily. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top five stories today in Houston:
1. 40 to 50 people were inside Ra Sushi in Highland Village late Monday night, but were forced to duck for cover when a man pulled out a gun and fired one time into the airpolice say. MMA fighters Kevin Holland and Patrick Robinson reportedly helped take down the active shooter along with a third customer. When officers arrived, the suspect was already in custody. Jesus Edrai Cardiel Samani is charged with felony deadly conduct and misdemeanor unlawful carrying of a weapon. (Patch Houston)
2. The driver of an Amazon big rig is dead after a crash in northwest Houston on Tuesday, Precinct 4 deputies said. The incident occurred in the 7500 block of N. Sam Houston Parkway around 1:15 am. Investigators believe wet road conditions were a factor in the incident. (Click2Houston)
3. Debra Ibarra Mayfieldwho served as the first Latina judge in the Harris County civil courtsdied Friday in Houston after a two-year battle with cancer. She was 47 years old. Mayfield was among the first in her family to attend college and often cited her working-class background. (Houston Chronicle)
4. Dutch Bros. Coffee celebrated the grand opening of its new location at 12240 W. Lake Houston Parkway, Houston on February 25. The Oregon-based drive-thru coffee company serves specialty coffee, smoothies, freezes, teas, and more. (Community Impact Newspaper)
5. Author-humorist David Sedaris is coming to Brown Theater in Wortham Center he Thursday, April 28 at 7:30 pm His most recent book is “Let’s Explore Diabetes with Owls. “ Tickets are now available. (CultureMap Houston)
From our sponsor:
Today’s newsletter is brought to you by Ring, a Patch Brand Partner. We all know that Ring is the leader in video doorbells for home security. But did you know that Ring now makes a home security system that is getting raves from consumer electronic experts? (Reviewers at CNET called the new system – known as the Ring Alarm Pro – “a giant leap for home security”). So why the kudos?
In a nutshell: the Ring Alarm Pro can protect your home both online and off. It includes a built-in eero Wi-Fi 6 router to help you get reliable physical and digital security in one, innovative device. Now you can help protect your home with all of the benefits of the Ring Alarm, to keep your home safe and secure, while experiencing fast, reliable connectivity.
To learn more about the system CNET called “the future of home security” or to build your own custom system, you can visit Ring here.
Today in Houston:
- 75 Cent Wing Wednesdays at Bar 2200. (5:00 PM)
- Real Estate Mixer at McIntyre’s. (6:00 PM)
- Comedy In The Garden at The Garden HTX. (7:30 PM)
- Pro-Am Open Mic Comedy Night at Phil & Derek’s Restaurant. (8:00 PM)
- The Regrettes With Kississippi at The Studio At Warehouse Live. (8:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- is a new construction-themed adventure park opening this week he March 17. (KHOU 11)
- The Houston SPCA said its animal cruelty investigators rescued more than 80 animals Monday from two different homes in the Galveston County area. (KHOU 11)
- Nutcracker Market Spring is returning April 8 to April 10 at NRG Center. (CultureMap Houston)
- Houston has received $ 45 million in federal funds this tackle homelessness. US Department of Housing and Urban Development Secretary Marcia Fudge announced the funds on Monday. (Houston Public Media)
More from our sponsors – thanks for supporting local news!
- FREE WEBINAR | Saints, Symbols, and Spaghetti (March 18)
- Virtual Medicare 101 with Sid Martinez (March 22)
- American Diabetes Association Diabetes Alert Day: Understand Your Risk (March 22)
- Online Discussions on the Effectiveness of Drug Addiction Treatment in a Houston Addiction Treatment (March 31)
- Add your event
Loving the Houston Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
Thanks for following along and staying informed. I’ll be in your inbox tomorrow morning with another update!
– Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.