Hey, Yuma! Let’s get you all caught up to start this day off on an informed note. Here’s what’s happening around Yuma today.
First, today’s weather:
Very warm with plenty of sun. High: 94 Low: 60.
Here are the top three stories in Yuma today:
- An investigation into a deadly listeria outbreak that at least partially originated from Dole packaged salads produced in Yuma has ended. There were a total of 18 cases across 13 states, including three deaths, between 2019 and 2021. Dole eventually traced the outbreak strain to equipment in its Yuma facility, as well as its Bessemer City, North Carolina, location. According to Food Poisoning Bulletin, all Dole-branded and Dole-produced private label products containing iceberg lettuce harvested by the contaminated equipment were recalled this past December and January. (Food Poisoning Bulletin)
- Charlene Fernandez, a former state representative who has joined the Biden Administration as the US Department of Agriculture’s Arizona director for rural development, was recently featured on the Arizona Edition podcast to discuss affordable housing and broadband strategies for rural areas. Fernandez specifically highlighted programs in Yuma County that have focused on increasing access to affordable housing and noted that rural development has “helped communities in some more surprising ways.” Listen to the podcast episode on KAWC. (KAWC)
- For the last four years, a Yuma pastor has been working to reach the next generation of worshipers in a congregation that’s currently populated by seniors. Gary D. Floyd, lead pastor of Yuma Foothills Assembly of God, recently hired two associate pastors and began a second contemporary worship service to help draw in more of the younger families that are moving into Yuma for Marine Corps Air Station and US Border Patrol opportunities . “The church will continue to reach senior adults, but Art and Samantha’s job is to help grow the second service by reaching the community of diverse ages,” said Floyd. (news.ag.org)
Today in Yuma:
- Yuma County Government Job Fair At Yuma County Main Library (10:00 AM)
- The Teccas At Crazy Earl’s Cocktails & Pool (1:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- Looking for a new job here in Yuma? Check out these newly-posted job listings from local employers. (Yuma Patch)
- Vader, Mocha, Blondie, and more are waiting to meet you at these Yuma-area animal shelters! Learn more about them in our latest adoptable animal roundup. (Yuma Patch)
- There’s still time to register for tomorrow’s inaugural #CyberSafe workshop for small businesses at the Yuma County Main Library! Get the details here. (Yuma County Library District)
Loving the Yuma Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
- Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe
- Get your local business listed in front of readers
Now you’re in the loop and ready to start this Tuesday! I’ll see you soon.
– Nicole Fallon-Peek
About me: Nicole Fallon-Peek is a journalist and copywriter with a degree in Media, Culture and Communication from New York University. She has served as a freelance reporter, managing editor, copy editor, and editorial director for a variety of B2B news outlets. She currently co-owns and operates content creation agency Lightning Media Partners.