Hey, people of Houston! It’s me again, Carlos Hernandez, your host of the Houston Daily. Let’s get this day started on an informed note.
First, today’s weather:
A strong morning thunderstorm. High: 74 Low: 48.
Attention, financial planners and advisors – we’re now offering sponsorship opportunities for local firms interested in building their client base in Houston. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top five stories today in Houston:
1. Multiple delays have prevented a new Freebirds World Burrito location from opening at 3112 W. Lake Houston ParkwayKingwood, according to an employee with public relations firm Dog and Duck. The earliest the location could open would be in early April. Freebirds World Burrito is an Austin-based Tex-Mex chain. (Community Impact Newspaper)
2. Harris County Attorney Christian Menefee showed support on Monday for the Supreme Court nominee, Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson. Menefee joined nearly 300 other Black attorneys in Texas in asking the Senate to confirm Jacksonwho would be the first Black woman on the Supreme Court. (CW39 Houston)
3. The University of Houston – Downtown Center for Public Service & Community Research has selected top vaccine experts Dr. Peter J. Hotez and Dr. Maria Elena Bottazziwho are also nominees for the 2022 Nobel Peace Prizefor its Social Work Person of the Year award. (University of Houston)
4. A store clerk was shot and killed on Sunday morning at V Stop Food Mart in the 6500 block of Homestead Road in northeast Houston, according to authorities. Investigators found the clerk in the back room with at least one gunshot wound on his right shoulder, according to an investigator. Police did not confirm whether the shooting resulted from a robbery or not. Detectives said the suspect remains on the loose and are asking anyone with information to contact police. (ABC 13)
5. Bail for a man accused in the workplace killing of his supervisor mustache reduced to $ 250,000 on Monday after his mother testified that she was unable to afford the surety fees sought by two bonding companies. Montavius Wright is accused of killing Cedar Park Technologies manager Doran Kelly during a workplace shooting. (Houston Chronicle)
From our sponsor:
Today’s newsletter is brought to you in part by by Ring and Patch Brand Partner. We all know that Ring is the leader in video doorbells for home security. But did you know that Ring now makes a home security system that is getting raves from consumer electronic experts?
To learn more about Ring Alarm Pro, the system CNET called “the future of home security,” or to build your own custom system, visit Ring here.
Today in Houston:
- Electric & Hybrid Marine Expo North America 2022 at George R. Brown Convention Center. (9:00 AM)
- Girls Volleyball Game at East Early College High School. (4:30 PM)
- C.ore-Focused Yoga at Discovery Green. (6:30 PM)
- Jimmy Eat World & Dashboard Confessional In Concert at 713 Music Hall. (7:00 PM)
- Come From Away at The Hobby Center For The Performing Arts. (7:30 PM)
From my notebook:
- Houston Police Department SWAT Commander Megan Howard provided updates to the public Sunday on the scene at 3939 Synott Road in which a man in apparent crisis pointed a weapon at other individuals before retreating inside his apartmenvol. (Facebook)
- Make sure that everyone knows who you’re supporting in the Sweet 16 with University of Houston’s new shirt. Go Coogs! (Facebook)
- Imagine yourself sitting on the Marriott Marquis Houston rooftop watching a feature film while sipping on a cocktail. 🍸 Catch showings such as Cruella, Step Brothers and A Star is Born, every Friday from now until May 6. (Facebook)
- RodeoHouston welcomed 2.4 million-plus guestshad 34,000-plus livestock and horse show entriesan action-packed rodeo, a diverse lineup of star entertainers, an historic $ 1 million steer auction purchase and much more this year. (Twitter)
More from our sponsors – thanks for supporting local news!
- Virtual Medicare 101 with Sid Martinez (March 22)
- American Diabetes Association Diabetes Alert Day: Understand Your Risk (March 22)
- Online Discussions on the Effectiveness of Drug Addiction Treatment in a Houston Addiction Treatment (March 31)
- Add your event
Loving the Houston Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
Now you’re in the loop and ready to start this Tuesday. I’ll see you around!
– Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.